Before going to the meeting I went suit shopping with my son Maxime and his friend Dylan for their Formal night tonight and I gave them some brownies. Max said they liked them. You can eat them cold but I tasted them warm right out the oven and they were delicious also. My husband is eating them with a warm chocolate sauce and ice cream tonight for dessert.
Cream Cheese Brownies
150 ml all-purpose flour
2.5 ml baking powder
1 ml salt
170 grams dark chocolate like Green & Black's organic
113 grams butter
180 ml sugar
10 ml vanilla extract
225 grams cream cheese at room temperature
45 ml sugar
2 ml vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1. To make the brownie: preheat oven to 325F. Spray an 8 inch square baking with Pam and add aluminum foil. I like to leave the foil that overhangs on sides of pan, it will be easier to remove the brownies from the pan when they are baked. Coat the foil with Pam.
2. In a small bowl whisk the flour, salt and baking powder. Melt the chocolate and butter in microwave, once melted add the 180 ml of sugar and mix well. Let cool. Once cooled transfer the chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Whisk in the 10 ml of vanilla, then whisk in the 3 eggs. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add dry ingredients and whisk well.
3. Pour half of the batter into the pan. In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese with the 45 ml of sugar, the vanilla and the egg yolk. Mix well.
4. Drop on top of the batter half of the cream cheese, by spoonfuls. Pour the remaining of the batter on top of the cream cheese. Then drop the remaining cream cheese and swirl the batter with a knife. You want to create a marbled effect.
5. Bake brownies for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven when the center is not quite firm and when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with several moist crumbs.
6. Cool completely before serving. You can keep the brownies up to 5 days in the refrigerator.