These Stuffed Pasta Shells with Cottage Cheese are not only fantastic they also freeze well. In this recipe I am using Jumbo Pasta Shells filled with 1% Cottage Cheese. The shells are topped with a tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese before going into the oven. The filling is moist, low in fat and calories. It is a great way to keep up with those resolutions of eating healthier in January. Cottage cheese is a great source of calcium and is high in protein. You can add it to your recipes and also to your smoothies.
We are getting ready to go to a hockey tournament this weekend. We have booked a room with a fridge and a microwave. We will get there around suppertime and the first game is at 10 pm. That will gives us some time to unwind and eat before the game. We will be eating this pasta dish when we get there. On the side I will be serving a nice green salad. My son will have a great filling meal before his game.
This pasta will become a family favorite and your kids can help stuff the shells. If you have spinach in the fridge you can add some to the filling.
Stuffed Pasta Shells with Cottage Cheese
750 ml Tomato Sauce, homemade or store-bought
1 box 340g Jumbo Shells
500g 1% Cottage Cheese
2 cloves of garlic, minced
15 ml fresh parsley, minced
30 ml fresh basil, minced
80 ml mozzarella cheese
250 ml mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Prepare the Jumbo Shells according to the package directions.
3. To prepare the filling mix in a bowl the cottage cheese, eggs, garlic, parsley, basil and 80 ml of mozzarella cheese. When the shells are cooked, fill each shell with 15 ml of the mix. Place into a lasagna pan.
4. Top the shells with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle 250 ml of mozzarella cheese on top.
5. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.